Sunday 16 November 2008

Andy Jenkins beats Taylor at Wolverhampton


ANDY JENKINS inflicted the first television defeat since June on Phil Taylor as he checked out on 104 to win 5-4 at the PartyPoker.com Grand Slam of Darts at Wolverhampton.

Jenkins now heads the table with two wins and is assured of progress before he faces Phill Nixon in tomorrow's final group game.

Defending PartyPoker.com Grand Slam of Darts champion Taylor now faces a winner-takes-all battle with Vincent van der Voort on Monday night.

Jenkins produced a superb performance to record the first win over Taylor in his career and ensure his spot in the last 16 of the Grand Slam of Darts.

He led 2-0 and 3-2 before Taylor hit back to lead, but the Portsmouth man sent the game into a decider before hitting a sensational 12-darter against the throw to take victory.

"I'm so proud to have beaten Phil," said Jenkins. "He's the best player ever and it means a lot to me.

"Getting into the second round was always going to be tough but I knew I had to play that well if I was going to beat Phil and I did it."

Jenkins took out a 15-darter to break throw in the opening leg, following two misses from Taylor, and then landed a 180 and double six to step in and double his advantage.

Taylor kicked into gear to win leg three, with a 180 pushing him clear before he took out double ten to get off the mark and then hit three successive 140s in the next to level.

A fine 11-darter put Jenkins 3-2 up, only for Taylor to respond and win leg six, before double top in the next put him front for the first time.

Jenkins won leg eight on double 16 to send the game into a decider, which he opened with a 180.

He added a 140 before setting up a finish, and took out 104 with Taylor waiting on 68 to claim the biggest win of his career.

"I didn't play badly but Andy played some great darts under pressure and showed a lot of bottle," said Taylor.

"His confidence grew after winning the first leg and full credit to him.

"I know what I have to do and I've no choice but to win or go home. It's as simple as that and it's knockout darts for me now against Vincent - but that will bring out the best in me."

Picture courtesy of Lawrence Lustig/PDC.

No comments: