Wednesday 31 December 2008

Wade moves into Ladbrokes.com World Championship Quarter-finals

JAMES WADE claimed a quarter-final berth at the Ladbrokes.com World Darts Championshiop with a 4-0 victory over Vincent van der Voort.

The UK Open champion failed to hit top gear but van der Voort was unable to repeat to kind of form that saw him defeat Colin Osborne in the previous round.

Wade broke throw at the start of the match but failed to capitalise on that by missing three darts at tops for a 2-0 lead and van der Voort levelled.

The world number three broke the Dutchman's throw for a second time in the set by hitting double five and then went on to take the fourth leg and go 1-0 ahead.

Van der Voort won the first leg of the second set against the darts, but Wade broke back on double ten.

He then won the next two legs, hitting a two-dart 60 checkout to extend his lead to 2-0.

Wade had opportunities to take a 2-1 lead in set three, but missed two darts at double top and van der Voort stepped to go ahead in the set.

Wade hit an excellent 124 finish on the bullseye to take the fourth leg, and then won the fifth in 14 darts to increase his lead to 3-0.

In the fourth the opening three legs went with throw, giving Wade a 2-1 lead before van der Voort hit double 18 to take the fourth leg.

Despite a maximum, he was unable to land double 19 to keep the match alive and Wade stepped up to land double 18 and claim a straight sets victory to set up a quarter-final against Paul Nicholson.

"I'm frustrated because I'm playing badly but still winning," said Wade. "I know I have to step up my game but I'm rtying as hard as I can and my preparation is perfect.

"It's only a matter of time before it clicks in and I'll be back producing what I know I can do."

No comments: