Wednesday 18 November 2009

Wade faces nine-dart sudden-death shoot-out

ANDY HAMILTON set up a nine-dart shoot-out with James Wade for a place in the second round of the PartyPoker.com Grand Slam of Darts with a superb 5-3 win over the left-hander.

Hamilton had to win 5-3 or better to stay alive in the tournament, and a flawless display of finishing secured just that result.

Wade played his part in a classic, averaging 102 but being left with no chance to reply as Hamilton piled home four ton-plus finishes.

Wade kicked off the game with a 180 and also hit a maximum in the second, only for Hamilton to take out 130 and 132 for a 2-0 lead.

Double top got Wade off the mark in the third, and he hit a 180 and was waiting on 24 to level in the fourth when Hamilton finished 102.

A two-dart 64 finish put Hamilton 4-1 up, before Wade landed a pair of double ten finishes to pull back to 4-3 - earning the three legs he needed to avoid elimination in the game.

But Hamilton produced a 12-dart finish, including a 180 and a 120 checkout, to wrap up the win and ensure a nine-dart shoot-out at the close of play.

"James is a great player and I had to pick up my game, and my finishing was excellent," said Hamilton.

"I had nothing to lose and I relaxed and enjoyed it, because I put too much pressure on myself in the earlier two games."

No comments: