Thursday 18 February 2010

Bournemouth blow for Wade

MERVYN KING maintained his winning start to the 2010 Whyte & Mackay Premier League Darts with an 8-4 defeat of James Wade in Bournemouth.

King avenged his loss to the left-hander in last year's Premier League Darts final at the Wembley Arena with a clinical display, taking out eight from 13 attempts at a double in the contest.

Wade landed a 180 in winning the first leg and took out 76 for a 2-0 cushion, but missed doubles in the third allowed King in and set the pattern for the remainder of the contest.

King took out 101 to win the fourth leg and level, before stepping in after further misses from Wade to in the next three legs to lead 5-2.

A sparking 11-dart finish saw King assume a 6-2 cushion, but Wade hit scores of 180 and 171 in a 14-darter to claim his third leg of the game.

King ensured a minimum of a draw with a 120 'Shanghai' finish, and though Wade won the 11th leg the Norfolk man was swift in wrapping up victory on double 16.

"James missed a lot of doubles and it was unlike him," said King. "That wasn't the real James Wade and he let me in leg after leg after leg, but I took my chances and am grateful I got them.

"If James had hit his doubles I'd have been history because I wasn't scoring as well as I can, but I'll take any wins I can get and hopefully I can carry that on in Belfast next week."

No comments: