Thursday 6 May 2010

Wizard casts spell over Wade at Newcastle

SIMON WHITLOCK clamed a key 8-4 win over James Wade to put one foot into the Whyte & Mackay Premier League Darts play-offs on a dramatic night in Newcastle.

The pair entered the clash locked on 12 points in the league table, and it was the Ladbrokes.com World Darts Championship runner-up who emerged victorious to enter the final week needing only a draw to qualify.

Wade, the reigning champion, now has to defeat Terry Jenkins in Nottingham to keep alive his hopes of retaining the title at Wembley Arena on May 23.

Whitlock, as so often during the Premier League, benefitted from his tremendous finishing, hitting eight from 13 attempts at a double in the game and three ton-plus finishes.

The game's opening two legs both went against the throw before Whitlock broke with a superb 124 bullseye finish in the third.

The pair traded 180s in the fourth leg, which Wade won in 12 darts, only to then miss two darts to edge in front as Whitlock took out double eight for a third leg.

The Australian posted a third 180 of the game in holding throw for the first time, with double 16 seeing him move 4-2 up thanks to hitting four of five attempts at a double.

Wade hit a 180 in a 13-darter to pull back in leg seven, but Whitlock found another gear to win the next three, including a 104 checkout against the throw, in taking a commanding 7-3 lead.

Wade checked out 127 on the bull to win the next in 12 darts, but any hopes of a fightback to claim a draw were dashed when Whitlock took victory thanks to a 100 finish.

"I knew I needed a good result and I've got a win so I'm very happy with that," said Whitlock. "Being in fifth spot going into the game and knowing I needed at least a draw meant there was a lot of pressure.

"I've been working hard on my finishing again recently and it paid off for me. If my finishing is there my scoring usually flows and it did.

"It's down to me next week now. Mervyn King will be ready for me and it will be a big game but hopefully I can get the win again and make sure of a play-off spot."

No comments: