Friday 23 July 2010

Wade into World Matchplay semi-finals

JAMES WADE remains on course for a second StanJames.com World Matchplay title following a 16-12 win over Wolverhampton battler Wayne Jones in Blackpool.

The 2007 Winter Gardens champion continued his improvement as the tournament progresses to see off Jones, who had won through to his first quarter-final in Blackpool and matched the number three seed blow for blow.

Wade will now meet Raymond van Barneveld or Co Stompe in Saturday's semi-finals, as he bids to reach the final for the fourth time in five years.

Wade landed a 180 in taking the game's opener, only for Jones to reply with a 13-darter and take out double 18 to break for a 2-0 lead.

Wade bettered that with a 121 finish for a 12-darter, and then won the next three legs to move into a 5-2 advantage, only for Jones to hit back with legs of 13, 14 and 14 darts to square the match.

The duo traded double top finishes in the next two before Wade again found an extra gear, defying a quartet of 180s from Jones to win four successive legs, twice punishing misses from the Wolverhampton man.

A double 16 finish from Jones ended that run, and was followed by finishes of 83 and 128 as he pulled back to 11-9, only to see Wade edge clear again, taking the next two legs to lead 13-9.

Jones replied with another double salvo, punishing missed doubles from Wade on double 18 and double eight, although double six moved Wade two legs away from the win at 14-11.

The former champion then produced his best leg of the game, an 11-darter, for a 15th leg, and after Jones posted double top to keep the match alive Wade hit the same bed to complete his victory.

"It was an exceptionally hard game for me because Wayne has a good record against me and it was psychologically hard," said Wade. "But there was a bit of the old James Wade there and it's getting better.
"I made a break early on but didn't kill him off as quickly as I could, but I know I've got three more gears to find yet.

"It would be amazing to win this tournament again and it's about time I won another big title because it's over a year, so we'll see what happens this weekend."

Jones said: "I enjoyed the game, and James played well under pressure and deserved to win.

"I had two or three legs where I should have broken his throw and that cost me, and those two or three legs where I should have pressured him more were disappointing.

"I'm pleased I played well and I wasn't out of it at any stage - even when I was two or three legs I was still in it but couldn't quite get the breaks of throw.

"I said I'd need a 94 or 95 average to beat him and he had a 98 average so I've no complaints there.

"This week my performances have been more like they have been in the floor tournaments and that's good. I did quite enjoy this game and all the matches this week and this was a decent game of darts."

No comments: