Wednesday 22 July 2009

Blackpool dream over for Jenkins

MARK WALSH kicked off his stanjames.com World Matchplay challenge with a 10-5 win over Andy Jenkins.

Walsh made amends for a defeat to Jenkins at the Winter Gardens two years ago to progress to the last 16, where he will meet either Raymond van Barneveld or Michael van Gerwen.

Although Jenkins took the opening leg with a 96 finish, Walsh settled the quickest to land a 180 in the next, double ten and then break Jenkins' throw on double four to lead 3-1.

A missed double top from Jenkins in the next allowed Walsh to move 4-1 up by hitting the same bed.

Jenkins took successive legs after the break to reduce the gap to 4-3, but Walsh crucially took the next leg - breaking throw on double top - to restore his cushion.

He landed a 180 in taking leg nine before a 64 checkout put him 7-3 up.

Portsmouth's Jenkins took two of the next three to remain in the hunt at 8-5, but Walsh landed a key 171 to set up a 36 finish in moving a leg away from the win.

He then wrapped up victory in style, taking out 121 for a 12-dart leg to move into the second round.

"I'm relieved and happy to get the win," said Walsh. "It was a hard game because Andy's a good friend and it's always tough playing him, I know what a battler he is.

"Being 4-1 didn't mean a lot to me because I know what he is capable of but I managed to edge through.

"I'm in a mindset where it doesn't worry me who I play next. I've beaten Raymond van Barneveld and Phil Taylor in finals this year and beaten James Wade twice, so it doesn't matter who I play. If I produce my darts, I'll win it."

No comments: