Friday 3 July 2009

Wade into Las Vegas quarter-finals

JAMES WADE powered through to the quarter-finals of the PartyPoker.net Las Vegas Desert Classic, seeing off Andy Hamilton 8-4 at the Mandalay Bay Resort.

The world number two followed up his win over Phillip Hazel on Thursday with a strong performance to overcome Hamilton, who hit two ten-dart legs but fell to defeat.

Hamilton started well, kicking off the match with a 180 and holding his throw for a 2-1 lead before Wade landed double top for the second time in the game to level.

The left-hander then found another gear, producing a superb 11-darter to break throw and then also win the next two legs to push 5-2 up with maximums in three successive legs.

Hamilton responded with a ten-darter in leg eight and another in the tenth to reduce the gap to 6-4 - but crucially missed four darts at a double in the next.

Wade stepped in once more on tops to lead 7-4, before wrapping up victory and a last eight spot with a 13-darter on double 14.

"Andy missed a few shots and I took advantage," said Wade.

"I think I can play better and know I'll have to if I'm going to win this but I'm enjoying the event and looking forward to my next game."

No comments: