Thursday 18 March 2010

Revenge over Whitlock at Brighton for Wade

DEFENDING Whyte & Mackay Premier League Darts champion James Wade picked up his first win of the 2010 season with an 8-4 win over Simon Whitlock at The Brighton Centre - overturning a 4-1 deficit in a classy display.

Wade looked on course to suffer a fourth defeat in the opening six weeks when Whitlock powered into an early lead.

But the world number three gradually clawed back level before pulling away for victory with a run of seven successive legs.

Wade missed double ten to take the game's opening leg as Whitlock stepped in on double top, and the left-hander also struggled to close out the second leg before hitting double two to square the game.

Whitlock posted a 180 and double 18 to win the third, and a sensational 170 checkout - the highest of the night to earn him a £1,000 bonus - put him 3-1 up.

Wade's miss at double four in the next allowed Whitlock to hit double eight and lead 4-1 as the pressure mounted once more on the reigning champion.

Wade settled his nerves on double 16 and finally found his range on double top to win the next two legs, including a 14-darter to level the match.

He then punished missed darts for the bullseye and double four from Whitlock to edge a scrappy ninth leg on double one and take the lead for the first time.

Wade then landed three successive 140s in the next, hitting double five to move two legs clear despite a maximum from the Australian.

Double ten put Wade a leg away from the match, and he hit his second 180 of the contest and double top to seal his maiden win of the season.

"It's a relief to get the two points because I've been putting myself under a lot of pressure to get that first win but now I hope that the relaxed and fluent James Wade will come out," said Wade.

"I've got a lot of hard work ahead of me now if I'm going to get into the play-offs and it's a huge mountain to climb but I'll do everything I can to get in there.

"Now hopefully I can play like I know I can. I've been making it hard work but it's not that hard sometimes.

"When Simon dipped off I managed to step in and it wasn't as much of a comeback because I had chances early on but let Simon off."

No comments: