Thursday 25 March 2010

Birmingham win for Wade

REIGNING Whyte & Mackay Premier League Darts champion James Wade claimed his second victory of the 2010 season with an 8-5 win over Terry Jenkins in Birmingham.

Wade had picked up his maiden win of the year in Brighton last week, and backed that up with a strong victory over the 2007 finalist.

Wade pulled clear from two-all to lead 7-3 before closing out victory with a fine 11-dart finish.

Jenkins took advantage of a missed double ten from Wade - for a 140 finish - to win the opening leg on double top against the darts, only for the left-hander to his a 180 and double five to break back.

Wade took the third on double one before missing two darts to take the next, with Jenkins finishing 94 on double 13 to square the game.

The pair traded double top finishes to leave the scores tied at the break, before Wade found another gear.

He followed a double top checkout with a 13-darter to lead 5-3, before hitting a 180 and double five to take the ninth and double ten for a four-leg cushion.

Jenkins produced his best darts of the game to stay in the contest, with finishes of 14 and 13 darts giving him two more legs to pull back to 7-5.

He also hit a 180 in the next, but Wade matched that to leave 41 after nine darts before landing double top to complete the win.

"It was a strange game because my scoring in patches was so good that the doubles I was missing didn't matter," said Wade.

"If I'd finished as well as I scored then I'd have played a really good game but I was fortunate to catch Terry on the back foot.

"I've won two games but I'm not getting carried away. I've not played good enough darts for six months but I'm starting to play good darts again.

"I'm working harder and hopefully the results will keep coming now."

No comments: