Thursday 1 April 2010

Lewis ends Wade's run at Cardiff

ADRIAN LEWIS ended James Wade's four-game unbeaten run in the Whyte & Mackay Premier League Darts with an 8-5 victory at the CIA in Cardiff.

Reigning champion Wade had ignited his campaign with two wins and a pair of draws in the last month, but lost out in the battle of the sport's most exciting young stars.

The pair had shared the points when they met in Exeter and looked on course for another draw after a tight opening half, only for Lewis to finish the stronger in claiming his third win of the season.

Lewis hit a 180 in taking the opening leg, and took out a 12-darter for the third, while Wade finished 72 in taking leg two and landed a maximum and double ten to level in the fourth.

It was Wade who took the game's first break of throw, in the fifth leg after hitting a 180 and double five for a 14-darter, only for Lewis to reply with a maximum in levelling at the break.

Wade hit scores of 180 and 174 in the next, but wasted three darts to win the leg and Lewis capitalised on double six.

While Lewis paid the price for similar misses in falling to defeat against Phil Taylor last week, Wade steeled himself and hit double top in successive legs to wrestle back the lead.

Lewis landed double 19 to level the match again, and a 180 set up double eight in the next as he regained command.

He then stepped in to punish four missed doubles from Wade by hitting double 14 to break throw for a 7-5 cushion, and posted a 180 and double eight once again to secure a valuable win.

"That's the first time I've ever beaten him on TV and it's great," said Lewis. "I knew it was a big game for me in relation to the top four and I've won this game, and want to win my next three now.

"I wasn't too happy with my overall display but I played pretty well and took out my finishes when I had to."

No comments: