Thursday 15 April 2010

Sheffield draw with Taylor for Wade

PHIL TAYLOR dramatically kept alive his unbeaten run in the Whyte & Mackay Premier League Darts, denying James Wade victory at the Sheffield Arena to snatch a draw in the deciding leg.

Reigning champion Wade looked set to take victory when he led 7-4, but paid the price for not closing out the win as the world number one showed his champion qualities to battle back for a draw.

Wade opened superbly to take a 2-0 lead, hitting a 14-darter in the opening leg before taking out the second against the throw in 11 darts, thanks in part to the first of seven 180s in the game.

He also hit a maximum in the third, but Taylor finished 81 to get off the mark before levelling on double 12 with Wade waiting on 24.

Wade took the next two legs in 13 and 14 darts to lead 4-2, hitting a further three 180s before then posting double five to return from the break and move three legs clear.

The pair shared the next four legs as Wade, thanks to four top for another 14-darter, ensured at least a point at 7-4.

Taylor hit double six in the next to keep alive his hopes of a comeback, and then punished a missed double 16 for a 103 finish, and victory, with double four to force a deciding leg.

And Taylor, typically, produced a killer blow with a 171 score to lead 16, with Wade unable to check out 145 before the four-time Premier League champion claimed the draw.

"The 171 was a massive shot and I'm delighted in many ways to have got a point out of this game," said Taylor. "James has got loads of guts and it's great to see him playing well again.

"He played superbly tonight and it was a really difficult game for me. I think he maybe started thinking about the win at the end, and when it was 7-4 I knew if I could break him I could get a point, and I did that."

Wade admitted: "I played well in patches but I wasn't good enough to win it at the end because I let go of the opportunity.

"I feel my form is coming back and hopefully it's not too late for me to force my way into the top four. I've got to keep going now."

No comments: