Thursday 26 February 2009

Wade ends Taylor's unbeaten run in Belfast

JAMES WADE inflicted Phil Taylor's first Whyte & Mackay Premier League Darts defeat of 2009 with a superb 8-4 win.

Wade became the first ever player to defeat Taylor in the tournament in week one last year, and repeated the feat with a classy display at Belfast's Odyssey Arena.

The world number two reeled off seven successive legs to claim his first win of the campaign a week ago, and was similarly impressive in week four.

Taylor, who had not been defeated in 26 games since the end of November, crucially missed four darts at the double to level at 3-3, which proved costly in the final outcome.

Taylor won just two of the next six legs as Wade wrapped up the win, which was sealed with a stylish 138 finish.

"James was the better man," admitted Taylor. He held his throw well and I couldn't break back. I missed some doubles but I'll be back."

Wade landed a 180 in setting up a finish in the opening leg, before Taylor replied on double 12 to level.

Taylor landed a maximum of his own in the third, only to miss the bullseye to break throw as double seven edged Wade 2-1 up.

Another 180 helped Taylor to the fourth leg, only for a second missed bullseye to again be punished in the next by a double ten from Wade.

Wade secured the game's first break of throw in the sixth leg, with four missed darts at double top and ten from Taylor allowing him to move two legs clear.

A further miss at double top from Taylor proved costly in the seventh as Wade took out double two, before a 13-darter saw the 14-time World Champion reduce the gap to 5-3.

The duo traded maximums in leg nine before double top put Wade three legs clear once more, with Taylor replying on double 16 before Wade ensured a minimum of a draw with double 12 putting him 7-4 up.

Taylor missed the bullseye to take the next, giving Wade his shot for victory - which he clinically despatched with a 138 checkout on double nine.

"You know when you play Phil what you have to do and I did the job," said Wade. "I'm over the moon with an 8-4 win, it's brilliant.

"If I'd missed the 138 I think he would have come back for a draw.

"It wasn't the start I thought I'd have got but these two games have shown what I can do and I'll hopefully continue my success from here."

No comments: