Thursday 19 February 2009

Wade storms to Ricoh Arena win over van Barneveld

JAMES WADE stormed to his first victory in the 2009 Whyte & Mackay Premier League Darts with an 8-4 comeback win over Raymond van Barneveld in Coventry.

Wade, last year's Premier League runner-up, had made a poor start to the competition with a draw in the opening week and an 8-1 loss to Mervyn King in Edinburgh.

He trailed the Dutchman 4-1 in Coventry and seemed set for another loss, only to produce a stunning run of seven successive legs in taking the win.

Van Barneveld took the game's opening leg at ease, and then landed a fine 11-darter against the throw to double his lead.

He then landed a 180 on his way to the third leg, before Wade got off the mark by taking out 68 for the fourth.
javascript:void(0)
A second maximum of the night helped van Barneveld into a 4-1 advantage - but a double three finish in the sixth sparked Wade into life.

He returned from the break to trade 180s with the Dutchman before breaking throw with a 95 checkout, and then levelled on double ten with a 13-darter.

Another 13-darter, against the throw, put him ahead for the first time in the contest, and a fine 11-darter, finishing with a 100 checkout, was followed by a double top finish to take him 7-4 up.

His second 11-darter of the game, featuring a fifth maximum, saw Wade wrap up his first victory of the campaign.

"I've wanted to do that for a while so it's very pleasing for me," said Wade. "Last week was a kick up the backside and hopefully this is the start of things to come.

"The crowd were brilliant and they were good for me - and I hope I entertained them and they enjoyed it.

"I've got the passion and love for the game back again and I'm over the moon to get the win. I averaged 120 for the last six legs and not many players could live with that.

"I felt like a spare part in the last two weeks and was playing really badly but I feel a part of the Premier League now and I've got to try and keep my feet on the ground now."

No comments: