Thursday 5 February 2009

Wade Opens Premier League with a draw

JOHN PART shared the spoils with 2008 runner-up James Wade in the opening game of the Whyte & Mackay Premier League Darts.

The Canadian snatched a point in the deciding leg of the game, punished missed doubles from Wade to earn himself the draw.

Part had led 2-0 after taking the first leg against the darts and hitting a 180 and a bullseye finish in the second.

Wade hit back to win the third on the bull, before Part hit a second maximum and double eight to lead 3-1.

Wade took the next three legs on his favoured double top to hit the front, and after Part levelled the left-hander took the next two for a 6-4 cushion.

But missed doubles continued to dog the youngster as Part drew level once more - only for the Canadian to suffer from three wasted chances in the next as Wade earned a point on double ten.

Wade, though, gave himself two darts for victory on a 98 finish in the 14th leg, but missed two darts at double 19 and Part took out double 16 for the draw.

"I got lucky with a point but I didn't play how I can," said Wade. "I haven't played how I can for six months, and six months ago I'd have easily walked away with a win there.

"But I didn't and I'm grateful to have got a point. John let me off a bit to be honest.

"It felt a bit foreign to be back on the Premier League stage! I've got to learn again and hopefully there will be plenty of wins to come."

No comments: