Thursday 9 April 2009

Another Premier League win for Wade in Exeter

JAMES WADE bounced back to winning ways in the Whyte & Mackay Premier League Darts with an 8-5 victory over Raymond van Barneveld.

The world number two completed a Premier League double over the Dutchman with a much-improved display, following his 8-3 drubbing to Mervyn King a week ago.

Van Barneveld hit back from 1-0 down to take out 78 in the second leg and double eight to break in the third.

Wade hit back to lead with checkouts of 65 and 80, only for van Barneveld to power home a 135 finish.

Wade took out 101 to lead 4-3 before taking another break of throw with a 61 finish, despite a 180 from the Dutchman, to push two legs clear.

Finishes of double 18 and double top saw van Barneveld, but crucially he missed three darts at tops and double ten in the 11th leg.

Wade stepped in on double top, and punished further missed doubles to go 7-5 up in the next.

A 180, for the third successive leg, pushed Wade ahead in the 13th leg, and an 81 checkout for a 12-darter sealed an important two points.

"I've been blowing hot and cold recently and was embarrassed with how I played against Mervyn last week, so it was important to get the win tonight," said Wade.

"I'm pleased with the display and happy to get the win, but I still know I can play better and want to do that next week.

"Raymomd missed some doubles and let me in, and I was there to take my chances."

No comments: