Thursday 2 April 2009

Wade loses to King at Glasgow SECC

MERVYN KING climbed above James Wade to second in the Whyte & Mackay Premier League Darts table with an 8-3 victory in Glasgow.

King completed a Premier League double over Wade with another big win, following up his 8-1 triumph in Edinburgh in February with another strong display.

The Premier League debutant was not at his best throughout the contest, but found Wade unable to hit top gear in a frustrating performance.

King stormed into a 4-0 lead, taking out finishes of 119 and 104 to secure two early breaks of throw, and then extended his cushion to five legs on double two after both players missed chances in the next.

Wade took out double ten for a 67 finish to get off the mark, but King returned from the break to take the next two legs on double ten and double eight for a 7-1 advantage.

King missed match darts in the next two legs as Wade briefly threatened a comeback in reducing the arrears to 7-3.

But King ensured the victory on double eight to pick up his sixth win of the season.

"It wasn't my best performance but James didn't turn up and I was a little better than him," said King.

"That's probably the worst I've ever seen him play and I don't know why, but that wasn't the real him. In the practice room he was hitting everything and I thought I was in for a real tussle.

"I should have finished him off earlier and had some chances, but he did battle to stay in there. I did enough to get the win and it's two more points for me."

No comments: