Thursday 16 April 2009

Wade held by Taylor but still tops Premier League

PHIL TAYLOR battled from 7-3 behind to claim a draw with James Wade in a scintillating battle of the Whyte & Mackay Premier League Darts' top two in Nottingham.

Wade had leap-frogged Taylor to head the table with his 8-1 win over Terry Jenkins earlier in the evening, and looked set to take a three-point advantage into the final three weeks of the league campaign.

But Taylor showed his class to take the final four legs without reply in grabbing a point.

As well as Wade had played against Jenkins, hitting eight maximums in a 108 average to win 8-1, the world number two struggled to regain the form in the early stages of the clash with Taylor.

Taylor took the first and third legs in 12 darts with the throw - but failed to take advantage against the throw as Wade took two to level.

Taylor landed scores of 140 and 180 in winning the fifth, but Wade followed up a 14-darter in the next with a 12-darter to break throw and lead 4-3.

A superb 145 checkout saw him move clear, and also ensure a £1,000 bonus as the night's highest finish, before another break of throw and double top put him 7-3 up.

The pair traded maximums in the next, with Taylor hitting double eight to cut the gap.

Both left a double with 180s in leg 12, but Wade was left waiting on 12 when Taylor checked out tops to reduce the arrears to 7-5.

Double 16 from Taylor sent the match into a deciding leg, but two misses from the defending champion gave Wade his chance to complete a Premier League double over his great rival.

But misses at double four and two gave Taylor a second chance, which he took on double top to claim a point.

"James' scoring and finishing was superb," said Taylor. "I was leaving doubles and he was finishing on me and he was brilliant.

"His first game was awesome and I knew I was up against a tough game but I kept battling and noticed a chink in him towards the end.

"I thought I'd blown my chance but he let me back in."

Wade admitted: "I've only got myself to blame for being 7-3 up and not finishing the job.

"I let myself down in the last few legs and Phil was better than me there."

No comments: